Saturday, August 4, 2012

RSS - Reading Slump Sickness

RSS - Reading Slump Sickness.
The virus with no cure.


By: Kaede.

Hey guys! There's been an absense of posts from me lately because there just isn't anything to talk about. Now I don't mean there aren't any books to talk about, because there's more than enough new releases out there, but because I haven't gotten the chance to read anything. Reason? Something I like to call RSS (Reading Slump Sickness).

If you've never experienced falling into a reading slump, and therefore have no knowledge whatsoever about this topic, I envy you. I fall into reading slumps All. The. Freakin'. Time. For those readers and reviewers who have stacks and stacks of books to read, the stress of those huge piles begin to slowly build itself until it's too much to take and it eventually...explodes in your face. You start to lose your motivation to read your beloved books until something fantastic comes along and snaps you out of the trance.

But once you get in, it's hard to get out. Believe me, I know. And until the magic and sacred book comes along to rescue you, you're life will be a whole lot like this:

This'll starts to increase:

And this'll start to decrease:















Until you're left with this:














It's taken me 30 different books to finally find one that's keeping my interest. No joke. I'm not even laughing anymore. All the humor lost it's appeal when I've attempted to read what was my 24th failed choice. Is it just me, or is reading starting to feel more like a task than something to do for pleasure lately? I am not pleased. Not at all. -_-

And so I have a task for you all. Won't you please share how you get out of a reading slump? I'm sure many would appreciate your help. I know I will. And in this coming me, I promise, you'll have more posts from me to look forward to because I got a huge stack of ARCs and books I shamelessly bought without a care for my overflower bookshelves. And then again, who doesn't look forward to seeing The Beautiful Kaede? I'm kidding, I'm kidding. I'm not that conceited...yet.

P.S: Doesn't the title make things sound more official? Smart, huh? ...No? o_o.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contact me at: kimberlyho75@yahoo.com









10 comments:

  1. Hi Kimberly! :) Well one time I was in a reading slump and what people typically do to snap out of it is reread their favorite books or get recommendations from people on Twitter and such. Or you can look for a really well-received book and try that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen!

      That particular option you mentioned happens to be most suggested one, so I think I'm going to try just that. Thanks! I'm keeping my eye out for new releases that are well-received, but everytime I pick one up, they are Just. Too. Long.

      Delete
  2. Oh man that happens to me on and off. Hmm what I did is I made sure that I wasn't going to add books to my to-read pile until I had 4 or less books left. It also depends on the book. Some books will just bore you and won't give you any energy to read another one. Don't force yourself to read, it has to be like "read at first sight" something like that, like a 'click'. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read at first sight, huh? Haha. Here's hope that something will 'click' then. :D

      Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in a bit of an on-off slump too. Started several books I was SO excited to finally get and I couldn't get into them! -.-

    I find that the more I stress on whyamInotintothisbook?! the more I just CAN'T get into it. So I'll just kick back re-read some old favorites. I'm keeping a tight hold on my wallet recently and I'm not a reviewer so my books haven't been increasing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Some of the recent new releases look awesome, but they just didn't hold my attention. -__-

      Delete
  5. I've totally experienced reading slumps. Usually it's because I start writing. But I have had times where I just don't feel like reading. Usually when this happens I give myself a reading break and try not to even THINK about reading. I do other things and then when that break is over, I go back to reading with a new refreshed brain. It's easier to read and then I find I enjoy what I read more.

    I've been where you are though, picking up thirty different books and not being able to finish them. I would just give yourself a break :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! A reading break! I think I'll try that!

      Thanks for the suggestion! =)

      Delete
  6. Did you know you can shorten your urls with Shortest and make $$$ for every visit to your short links.

    ReplyDelete